Detection of Alpha-1 Antitrypsin, Alpha-2 Macroglobulin and Some Serum Immunoglobulins Levels in a Group of Multiple Sclerosis Patients
Immunological disturbance in multiple sclerosis
Background: Immunological disturbance in multiple sclerosis is one of the pathophysiological processes taking place during disease process.
Objectives: To evaluate the role of some serum antibodies in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis in group of multiple sclerosis patients.
Methods: The study was designed to perform (ELISA) testing to estimate the following parameters as Î±-1antitrypsin,Î±-2 macroglobulin, IgM, IgG, IgA levels in fifty multiple sclerosis patients as compared to thirty five apparently healthy controls.
Results: The level of Î±1-macroglobuline was low in 72% of multiple sclerosis patients and only normal in 28% of the cases while the healthy control groups showed normal value in 83% and a high level in 17% of rest of the group, regarding the level of Î±1-antitrypsin it was low in 54% and normal in 41%, as for the control group it was normal in 88.5% and low in 11.5%, as for the level of IgM was normal in 52% but high in 44% as for the control group the normal value was noticed in 91% and high in the rest 9% of the controls, IgG level was normal in 58% and high only in 36% but low in 6%, most of the control were normal 97% and high in 3%, for the last parameter IgA was normal in 70% of patients and high in 26% of cases, while in the control samples 91% were normal and only 6% showed a high results.Â
Conclusion: The detection of serum level of those parameters as Î±-1 antitrypsin, Î±-2 macroglobuline, IgM, IgG, IgA could be a good indicator for the early detection of multiple sclerosis and to evaluate the severity of the disease, which is linked to the reduction of their values in the serum as multiple sclerosis get worse.
Keywords: Multiple sclerosis, Alpha 1 antitrypsin, Alpha 2 macroglobulin.Iraqi Medical Journal Vol. 63, No. 1, January 2017; p.45-51.
Copyright (c) 2017 Iraqi Medical Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
- No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.