Human Human Rota Virus Infection in Children up to the Age of Five Years
Human Rota Virus Infection
Background: Acute diarrhea is considered to be a leading cause of morbidity and mortality in children all over the world and Rota virus is the most common cause of severe diarrhea among infants and children.
Objectives: To determine the risk factors, symptoms and the proper way of management of Rotavirus gastroenteritis.
Methods: This work was conducted on 235 children who were less than five years of age. They were attending the Central Teaching Hospital of Pediatrics in Baghdad for acute diarrheal diseases, in the period between the 1st of September 2011 and the 10th of February 2012. History, physical examination, stool analysis and culture and identification of Rotavirus are done for each of these patients using Rotavirus diagnostic Kit produced by (Bio- Kit).
Results: The growth of microorganisms (viral, bacterial, parasitic and mixed organisms) were notified in 146 patients (62.11%), the remaining 89 patients (37.9%) revealed no growth in their stool samples. Human Rotavirus infection was detected in 45 (19.1%) of our patients. Regarding human Rotavirus infection, the most vulnerable age group was 6-12 months (51.1%). Male to female ratio was 1.2:1 the majority of patients were from rural areas (68.8%). Bottle feeding was used in (32.5%) of cases while breast feeding were in (5.9%). Tap water supply was used for drinking in (23.7%) of patients, most of them use water without boiling (21.3%). The symptoms included the followings: diarrhea which is found in (62.1%) patients, vomiting found in 43(95.5%) patients, fever found in 40 patients (88.8%), abdominal colic in 23 patients (51.1%), symptoms of upper respiratory tract were found in 33 patients (73.3%) and rectal prolapsed in one patient (2.2%).
Conclusion: Rotavirus is the most common cause of gastroenteritis in young children and significantly more common among infants 6-12 months. The most important potential risk factor that increasing the incidence of gastroenteritis, was bottle feeding preference.
Keywords: Gastroenteritis, Rotavirus infection.
Iraqi Medical Journal Vol. 63, No. 1, January 2017; p.6-10.
Copyright (c) 2017 Iraqi Medical Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
- No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.